• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

MxMo XLII: Dizzy Dairy

Chris Amirault

For a good while now, Paul Clarke over at Cocktail Chronicles has been organizing a monthly online cocktail event he calls Mixology Mondays:

Mixology Monday is a monthly online cocktail party. Since launching in April 2006, Mixology Monday has attracted scores of participating bloggers and thousands of curious readers, all coming together on a monthly basis to share drink recipes and related information in a friendly online environment.

The process is quite simple: each month, a host, working with the moderator, selects a theme for the upcoming event, which is announced on various blogs and forums (including this one), and on or before the event date (a Monday — hence the name), participating bloggers join the party by posting a drink recipe or other post related to the theme. Each participant notifies the host that they’ve joined in, and soon after the event, the host posts a roundup, listing each participant.

This month, fellow Society members, we are the hosts for a Mixology Monday on the theme of dizzy dairy. Any drink using a dairy product is fair game: milk, cream, eggs, butter, cheese, yogurt, curds, you name it. Given the importance of dairy products in drinks dating back centuries, there are lots of opportunities for digging through vintage receipts for a taste of the past, and as always innovation is highly encouraged.

We hope that you'll measure out your portions as best you're able: better to indicate a tablespoon or ounce of egg white, for example, than to say "egg white." In addition, be sure to share any tips and techniques that benefit your booze -- "dry" shaking without ice for a good meringue, say, or stealing Society member Dale DeGroff's whipped cream trick for Irish Coffee. Disasters as well as successes are heartily encouraged. Finally, prepare to respond to the anti-dairy lobby by giving us reasons why your libation is just this side of mother's milk.

If you would like to participate, please post any dairy-based drink, borrowed or invented, here in this topic before Monday, September 28 at midnight. Photos uploaded using our new image management system are very strongly encouraged.

Not yet a member of the eGullet Society? Click on this link to join as a participating member! You're also welcome to email me with your snap and tipple -- but wouldn't you like to raise your frothy glass among the Society membership?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Think dairy section of your local supermarket.

I've been working hard trying to figure out how best to use the Jerry Thomas Milk Punch base to include mezcal, with which I've fallen in love. The following is my latest take on the drink, with the mezcal pretty high in the mix. Feel free to dial it back to 1/4 oz.

Ponche de Leche del Sur

(Milk Punch South of the Border)

DSC00209.JPG

2 1/2 oz whole milk

1 1/2 oz Inner Circle green label rum

1 oz Meyers's rum

1/2 oz Brugal Añejo rum

1/4-1/2 oz Real de Magueyes Añejo mezcal

1/2 oz Clement Creole Shrubb

dash pimento dram (homemade)

dash cinnamon tincture

Shake with cracked ice and pour into Old Fashioned or large cocktail glass. Dust with grated nutmeg, if you prefer.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

There's both egg and milk in this punch adapted from the Gentleman's Companion and the Merchant Hotel Bar.

White Tiger's Milk

WTM.jpg

2 oz Laird's Bonded Applejack

2 oz Whole Milk

1/2 oz Marie Brizard Apry

1/2 oz Rich Demerara Syrup (2:1 Raw Sugar:Water)

1/2 oz Egg White (approximately 1/2 of the white of a large egg)

1 Dash Angostura Bitters

Shake vigerously with ice and strain into a tall glass, such as a Collins, filled with cracked ice. Garnish with freshly grated cinnamon or nutmeg.

Edited by KD1191 (log)

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Just clarify on the guidelines here, eggs are considered dairy for this purpose?

Yup.

*cough* so what about almond, soy, or rice milk? They have about as much to do with dairy as chicken fetuses.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Just clarify on the guidelines here, eggs are considered dairy for this purpose?

Yup.

*cough* so what about almond, soy, or rice milk? They have about as much to do with dairy as chicken fetuses.

Haha more in fact, since they at least use the name "milk".

Made a Madiera flip the other day, with 2 oz Bual, 1/4 oz simple, and a whole egg shaken up and strained, dusted with nutmeg. Really nice drink but no dairy :wink:

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

This challenge brings to mind an excellent drink I used to enjoy in Seoul. Take equal parts Yakult and Chamisul soju, stir together, and drink until the styrofoam ring bar snacks start to taste good. Actually, the sweetness in the yogurt and the soju complement each other nicely. It's not a very glamourous drink, however. It should be served in a small pitcher, ideally one re-purposed from some other kind of alcohol bottle and poured into sake cups, soju glasses or other similar-sized vessels.

Heading out of town this weekend, so I have to post mine early, here goes.

Reproduced from my blog post at wordsmithingpantagruel.com.

Links and better formatting over there.

At first I was not at all sure where to go with this theme since I've never before concocted a new libation with such ingredients, but after a little research and thinking about the couple drinks I have enjoyed that utilize egg white, inspiration struck. In fact, it struck thrice. I did stay away from the cheese and stuck to eggs and milk though.

I first began by thinking about the classic and excellent Pisco Sour, my current favorite egg white drink, and how I could turn that recipe on it's head. That led me to my first drink:

Any Hour Sour

* 1½ oz Bacon-infused bourbon

* 1 oz egg white

* ¼ oz orange juice

* ¾ oz lemon juice

* ¼ oz maple syrup

* 1 dash angostura bitters

* Amargo Chuncho Peruvian Bitters* for garnish

Shake and double strain all but Peruvian bitters, add a dash or two of those to foam on top after straining into wine glass.

*These bitters go great on the pisco sour so I used them here just to tie the ideas together, you can get them over at Cocktail Kingdom. ( https://www.cocktailkingdom.com/ ) You can sub more angostura otherwise.

IMG_2455_2.JPG

Continuing further along this line of thought, and after reading about how the Brandy Milk Punch can be transformed into a simplified egg nog in Dale DeGroff's The Essential Cocktail (recommended), I came up with this:

Breakfast of Champions

* 2 oz Bacon-infused bourbon

* 4 oz cereal milk*

* 1 whole large egg (~ 2 oz)

* ¼ oz maple syrup

* 2 dashes Fee’s Whiskey Barrel-aged bitters (2008) **

Dry shake, shake with ice, double strain.

Prob makes 2 servings but more satisfying to drop in entire egg.

*I stole the cereal milk idea from Momofuku (soon to be released cookbook here, I'm excited.) Don't know how they do it, but I steeped corn flakes in milk in the fridge for 45 minutes before straining through cheesecloth and that worked. Their recipe will be in the book I hear. Feel free to sub your favorite cereal.

**These bitters add a solid dose of cinnamon, you can sub angostura or even dust with cinnamon in a pinch.

IMG_2457_2.JPG

This was the first time I've tried drink like a flip or a nog containing a whole egg, let alone made one, let alone from my own recipe. I was fully expecting an epic fail, but I do have to admit I was quite pleased with the results. Smooth, rich, and delicious. And no, I didn't have it for breakfast.

Don't know where I got the idea for this next one, just came to me when I remembered I had this bottle of Castries peanut creme liquor sitting untried in the fridge which I had bought on a lark just because I'd never seen it. I give you the PnPBnJ on Rye, aka Pecan and Peanut Butter and Jelly on Rye.

PnPBnJ on Rye

* 1 oz Pecan-infused rye

* 1 oz Castries Peanut Rum Crème

* 1 oz milk

* 1 tbsp Bonne Maman Strawberry Preserves

Shake and strain.

IMG_2408_2.JPG

Very dessert-y, but fun, like a cross between a PBnJ and an admittedly adult milkshake. Fine, try Welch's grape if that's your thing.

Ed aka Wordsmithing Pantagruel

Food, Cocktails, Travels, and miscellany on my blog:

http://www.wordsmithingpantagruel.com/

Yup, I followed this procedure that Don Lee provided to NY Magazine from the drink he came up with at PDT: http://nymag.com/restaurants/recipes/inseason/45776/

(that's one of the many links on my blog post I neglected to transfer over to my post here due to a combo of laziness and technical deficiency.)

but I used Buffalo Trace Bourbon and Neuske's bacon ( http://www.nueskes.com/products/Bacon.cfm )

Quite simple, and the old fashioned in the recipe is fantastic. You should definitely try it out, especially if you are not in NY to sample it at PDT. It's also a great hit at parties.

Ed aka Wordsmithing Pantagruel

Food, Cocktails, Travels, and miscellany on my blog:

http://www.wordsmithingpantagruel.com/

"Tell em' the Cap'n Sent You" Fizz

Cap'n Crunch Infused(Fat Washed) Rittenhouse Bonded 2 oz

1 egg white

Cream 3/4 oz

Lemon Juice 1/2 oz

2 Strawberries

Strawberry Jam 1 barspoon

Dash Cinnamon Syrup

Dry shake Egg w/ Lemon, muddle jam and Strawberries w/ Rye and dbl strain into egg white and lemon, add rest. Add Ice, Shake the Bejeezus out of it, Strain into Fizz Glass and top with 1 oz Fizz Water while stirring.

Cheers

To keep up with my recent tiki kick, I decided to make a Cream Gin Fizz, a specialty of the Cunha Hotel in Oahu around 1900. This was the kind of mainland inspired drink popular in Oahu before Don the Beachcomber invaded with his faux-tropicals in 1948.

Cream Gin Fizz

IMG_0478.JPG

1 1/2 ounces dry gin

1 1/2 ounces milk

2 ounces fresh lime juice

3 teaspoons sugar

1 ounce soda water

This is a nice variation on a Ramos Gin Fizz - it doesn't have the complexity brought by the orange flower water, but is certainly a more bracing cocktail with twice the citrus. It has a bit of a key lime pie feel, and would probably be even more interesting made with key limes.

Recipe courtesy of Jeff Berry's Sippin' Safari

There's both egg and milk in this punch adapted from the Gentleman's Companion and the Merchant Hotel Bar.

White Tiger's Milk

2 oz Whole Milk

1 Dash Angostura Bitters

Shake vigerously with ice and strain into a tall glass, such as a Collins, filled with cracked ice. Garnish with freshly grated cinnamon or nutmeg.

I tried one of these last night - very interesting cocktail. I wouldn't have guessed, but this is actually a very nice way to showcase the apple brandy. I'm not sure I liked the Apry finish as much - might try some other variations on this theme.

White Tiger's Milk

2 oz Whole Milk

1 Dash Angostura Bitters

I tried one of these last night - very interesting cocktail. I wouldn't have guessed, but this is actually a very nice way to showcase the apple brandy. I'm not sure I liked the Apry finish as much - might try some other variations on this theme.

Yeah, I dialed the Apry way down in the recipe above. In many places you'll find apple and apricot brandy called for in equal measure, but that just wasn't palatable to me. In this version, I'd imagine the Apry can be subbed for another liqueur or syrup of choice to interesting effect.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

White Russian. Large rocks glass, ice, 1.5 oz Stoli Blue Label (100 Proof and keepin' it real), 1 oz Kahlua Especial (so much better than the regular), top with milk (or half-and-half if you have it). Stir, sip, smile -- and remember.

Or a real New Orleans Brandy Milk Punch with a grate of fresh nutmeg on top:

Or a real New Orleans Ramos Gin Fizz:

Or, for something essentially non-alcoholic, a "Chocolate Milk" Old Fashioned: Dash of simple syrup, 2-3 dashes Bittermens Xocolatl Mole bitters, 3 oz milk, stir and serve.

As far as dairy-based drinks, those are about all I bother with.

Cheers,

Mike

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."

- Bogart

Carl Summers -- who's In Search of a Cocktail -- offers the Canadian Rumba Batida -- CA

The Mash Bill:

1.5oz Cachaca

1oz Evaporated milk (Condensed makes it very, very sweet)

1/2oz Maple Syrup

1/2oz Pineapple Puree

1/2oz Passionfruit Pulp

The Work Order:

1. Fill Blender with enough ice to fill your glass

2. Pour all ingredients

3. Blend until smooth

4. Pour into your choice of glassware

5. Garnish with a Pineapple wedge

6. Serve

Cheers!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

While out apple-picking today I stopped at Stamp Egg Farms in Johnston (pdf of Edible Rhody article here), when they called out to me: three small eggs. Of course, small eggs are the size used back when most classic cocktail recipes were created, so I came home and mixed up a Baltimore Eggnog, using this cocktail.db recipe and adding Fee's Old Fashioned bitters:

3960659382_2b93ff1eba.jpg

A rich, layered nog that belies its brief history, it's a keeper. Cock-a-doodle-doo, indeed.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

My entry is a cocktail called the Raw Milk.

The full post (pictures, video, and a discussion of the drink) is viewable on my blog: Tessin Rinpoche

I have included the basics of the drink here, along with the video demonstration:

Ingredients

3/4 raw milk

3/4 maraschino liqueur

1 Stone’s Ginger currant wine

6 dashes orange bitters

Combine the above ingredients in a shaker with some large ice cubes. Shake it hard. Pour into cocktail glass (this will take some more shaking as a heavy foam layer will develop – give it time to empty).

How to light it:

Ingredients

1 small round section of reddish fruit skin (nectarine, apricot, whatever)

dash high proof rum (clear/white)

Turn the skin inside out so the colorful part forms the inside of a bowl. Place the fruit skin in the center of the drink, letting the little bowl nestle in the foam. Pour some rum in the fruit bowl to create a small puddle. Don’t fill the bowl; don’t overfill the bowl. Light the rum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpWAZ_2BFLo

Hope you enjoy!

Cheers,

Bertessa