• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making a Great Tuna Melt

Katie Meadow

Lately I've been craving tuna melts, no idea why. I haven't eaten one out that I didn't think needed improvement. I figure everyone already knows what they like in a tuna salad, so assume that's ready to go. What kind of bread do you like? What kind of cheese? And most important, what is your technique for toasting the bread and melting the cheese and putting the whole thing together?

To my mind, there are two distinct types of tuna melts: open faced and closed and griddled. I like them both; I prefer the griddled ones, but the open faced ones can be good as well. For the open faced ones (bread topped with tuna salad then cheese and run under the broiler) I like a dense, sturdy bread, and a fairly thin layer of tuna. The main problem, I think, is that the tuna doesn't always heat up by the time the cheese is melted. A lesser problem is that the bread can become soggy, but you can lessen that possibility by toasting the bread first and using a rack to put the sandwich on.

For the griddled version, I like medium-thin sliced bread (rye is my first choice). Thinner bread lets the tuna heat up and the cheese melt and it also results in a better filling-to-crunchy-bread balance.

My preference for cheese is either cheddar or swiss.

Yes, the last time I ordered one it came open faced, and although the tuna salad was good, the resulting sandwich was flabby and had to be eaten with a knife and fork. I prefer a crunch and a sandwich that can be picked up. So JAZ, your method is really just like making a grilled cheese sandwich--or at least the way I make one--by assembling the whole, buttering the outside, grilling in a cast iron pan and flipping it over. Do you cover the pan at all? I often cover the pan during part of grilling time for a grilled cheese so the cheese melts faster. I guess the idea of grilling the whole tuna sandwich struck me as potentially pretty messy, and I was thinking that the tuna would get TOO hot in the time it takes for the cheese to melt and the bread to get crispy. However, I'm gonna give it a try.

I don't cover the sandwich as it's cooking -- grilled cheese or tuna melt -- because the bread tends to steam and lose its crunch. But you're right, the tuna does heat up by the time the cheese melts.

You can make an open faced tuna melt that stays crunchy without the tuna getting hot by using a hybrid method. Butter one side of a piece of bread and brown that side on a griddle. Then put it on a rack in a sheet pan and top with tuna salad and cheese. Run it under the broiler and you have an open faced sandwich with a crunchy bottom layer. The rack is crucial, because if you just put the bread on the pan, the heat from the cooking can make the bread steam and get soggy.

It's time consuming, but results in a great sandwich.

I butter one side of one piece of bread, top w/ slice of cheese (cheddar preferred) and grill on cast-iron pan. Remove.

Put another buttered piece down in pan and spread on tuna salad. Top with first slice.

This gives a nice mix of hot, melty cheese and cool tuna salad.

The first tuna melt I ever ate included grilled onions, which make the difference between blah and very good. Was this just a "twist" added by that individual kitchen, or have others eaten tuna melts this way?

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

It doesn't matter whether it's a tuna melt or a patty melt, but I want the side the bread that has the stuff on it to be toasted, too. Think toast bread on one side, then make the melt and while it's melting, the bottom half will get toasted.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

It doesn't matter whether it's a tuna melt or a patty melt, but I want the side the bread that has the stuff on it to be toasted, too. Think toast bread on one side, then make the melt and while it's melting, the bottom half will get toasted.

I totally see your point about having both sides of each slice crispy, but how exactly do you toast bread on one side? Are you grilling it on the first side, then turning each slice over to put the ingredients on and then grilling the constructed sandwich on both sides?

My first experiment was last night, using an "enhanced" broiler method. By the way, I don't own a toaster oven. First I toasted my bread slices (my husband's home-made multi-grain) in the toaster. I had the broiler preheating. I took one toasted slice and buttered it lightly. On top of that buttered side I piled my tuna salad, then grated cheddar. I put that under the broiler long enough for the cheese to melt well (like maybe 30 seconds), removed it and slapped the other slice of toast on top. It was very good, and fairly greaseless; both slices of toast remained totally crispy, including the one that was under the broiler briefly.

Next up, after a short mercury break, I will try some type of grilling method. Lapin, I too limit my tuna intake, but when I eat the canned stuff, I now buy Ortiz brand bonito, presumably a smaller fish than tuna and so less likely to have as much mercury. And it's very good, packed in olive oil, most of which I pour out.

Upthread someone suggested rye bread. That sounds yummy.

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)

Lapin, I too limit my tuna intake, but when I eat the canned stuff, I now buy Ortiz brand bonito, presumably a smaller fish than tuna and so less likely to have as much mercury. And it's very good, packed in olive oil, most of which I pour out.

Katie, I should have added that that's the only tuna I buy these days. And I eat it pretty much plain, with a little lemon juice, maybe some chopped sweet onion or capers. I'd rather have a small amount of really tasty tuna, than a larger amount of so-so tuna. But I read recently that the mediterranean tuna fishery is really in bad shape, so I'll have to curtail my favorite treat even more...

Oh, well, we enjoy it all that much more when we do have it! And think of the extravagance of a tuna melt!

Now here's a topic people haven't discussed much: what kind of cheese do you use?

- L.

It has been a long time since I've had one of these, but it does sound tasty. Sad that one of my first thoughts is "cheese, mayo, butter...how many calories are we talking here?"

I grew up with the open face english muffin variation--toast the muffin halves in a toaster, top with tuna, then cheese, broil until bubbly and slightly carmelized. But I've learned to love the grilled rye bread version too. Always swiss cheese, though I don't much care for it in other settings. One key trick I remember--go light on the mayo in the tuna salad, or when it heats up the tuna mixture will seriously ooze.

Ok, my first post since all the newness...

I learned to make the best tuna melt I've ever had, from this little local sandwich shop. They took it off the menu, but I still make it, it's rather addictive. Purists, avert your eyes. We're gonna do weird stuff to tuna.

Take a Portuguese roll, split it lengthwise, and toast it. Top with your favorite tuna salad (theirs is made with lemon, ground hot peppers, and diced carrots, sounds weird, but the textural appeal wins). On top of your tuna, some slices of plum tomato, avocado, crispy bacon, and some sort of mixed shredded cheese blend...a LOT. I'm fond of mozzarella/cheddar mixed. You want the cheese to be like, mountained on top of it. Broil it till the cheese melts and gets brown. They used to serve chips and housemade salsa on the side, I would skip the chips and dump the fresh salsa over the top. I think it's key, I still do it at home. The whole thing is a tuna melt adventure, and one is enough to feed a family of four.

It has been a long time since I've had one of these, but it does sound tasty. Sad that one of my first thoughts is "cheese, mayo, butter...how many calories are we talking here?"

I grew up with the open face english muffin variation--toast the muffin halves in a toaster, top with tuna, then cheese, broil until bubbly and slightly carmelized. But I've learned to love the grilled rye bread version too. Always swiss cheese, though I don't much care for it in other settings. One key trick I remember--go light on the mayo in the tuna salad, or when it heats up the tuna mixture will seriously ooze.

Well, yeah, cheese, mayo, butter...not exactly the healthiest meal on earth, but I do use modest amounts. That's one reason I am making them at home; ordering out a tuna melt virtually assures massive quantities of all three, as far as I can tell. Until last month I don't think I've had a tuna melt for 20 years. The idea of fish with cheese always seemed horrid to me, and I don't combine them ever--except now, in a tuna melt. And it's quite possible that if I eat one too many of these in the coming weeks, I will not want another for the next 20.

I stopped at Breuggers Bagels the other day and noticed they had a tuna melt on the menu, made on a cibatta roll. I wasn't wanting more than just a bagel that day, but when I got back to the office, I looked up their online menu. Yowza! That puppy packs more than a 1,000 calories, 60% from fat. That's pretty close to a whole day's calories for me. Don't think I'll be ordering one of them anytime soon.

For me, it starts with the tuna

the very best, white albacore, in water, well drained.

heat the oven to four fifty. meanwhile, make your tuna salad, dill and sweet relish, finely chopped onion, celery too, and enough mayo to make it nice and wet. salt and peper.

heat a skillet and butter the outside of two really nice slices of firm white bread.

add cheese of your choice.

cook like a grilled cheese, and when brown on both sides, throw in the oven for enough time to heat the tuna and finish melting the cheese. tomato slices, in season, are a great add-on.

I am having one tomorrow. :wub:

---------------------------------------

I totally see your point about having both sides of each slice crispy, but how exactly do you toast bread on one side? Are you grilling it on the first side, then turning each slice over to put the ingredients on and then grilling the constructed sandwich on both sides?

That's how I did all of the grilled sandwiches that were on our menu. Butter, toss the bread unbuttered side down on the grill, toast, flip, add cheese to one or both slices as/if required, build sandwich, toss other slice on top, continue as usual. The top slice would begin toasting (and the cheese melting because the bread surfaces are now hot) while building the sandwich on the other slice which made up some of the extra time spent toasting both sides. The customers loved it.

As for the best tuna melt:

place buttered bread on grill, top both slices with cheese, when the cheese begins to soften and the bread is toasted add tuna salad to one slice, top with the other slice, remove from the grill, cut in half or quarters, place on a plate... and dump it in the bin. :raz:

Sorry, not a big fan of that particular sandwich. :biggrin:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

That's how I did all of the grilled sandwiches that were on our menu. Butter, toss the bread unbuttered side down on the grill, toast, flip, add cheese to one or both slices as/if required, build sandwich, toss other slice on top, continue as usual. The top slice would begin toasting (and the cheese melting because the bread surfaces are now hot) while building the sandwich on the other slice which made up some of the extra time spent toasting both sides. The customers loved it.

As for the best tuna melt:

place buttered bread on grill, top both slices with cheese, when the cheese begins to soften and the bread is toasted add tuna salad to one slice, top with the other slice, remove from the grill, cut in half or quarters, place on a plate... and dump it in the bin. :raz:

Sorry, not a big fan of that particular sandwich. :biggrin:

Yes, grilling the inside of each slice first, then flipping and building while grilling the outside seems like the most efficient use of one pan, one source of heat, and the way to get the bread maximum crispy. The only downside is the use of twice as much butter, but after all, this IS essentially diner food. I never had the slightest interest in tuna melts, except for this current craving. Perhaps I'm having a midlife crisis of some sort. It is kind of a weird sandwich, I'll be the first to admit. The way you make the best tuna melt is the way I make a Reuben, although I wouldn't waste a clean plate before tossing it. That tuna melt is sounding better and better. Now I need to make an eggcream to go with.

I didn't butter both sides of the bread. I buttered one side as usual but toasted the unbuttered side first then flipped it to the buttered side before proceeding. I tried it with buttering both sides, it's not as good. Get's too greasy. Actually, I haven't eaten a tuna melt in a really long time. I may even like it if I tried it again.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 9 months later...

I've been doing a lot of cooking recently from Rick Bayless's Fiesta at Rick's, and in there he's got a recipe for a soft taco filling that contains canned tuna and pickled jalapeños. I didn't actually have the pickled jalapeños on hand, but the recipe got me thinking at lunch today. I added part of a can of "fire-roasted" chiles to a packet of tuna, along with some Cabot extra sharp cheddar, and made a Tex-Mex-style tuna melt quesadilla:

1 of 1 - Tuna Pepper Quesadilla.jpg

Not too bad, if I may say.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

The best Tuna melt I've ever had was at the seafood restaurant at Phillippe Creek in Sarasota FL, USA 20 years ago.

Their take on it was original and amazing. They used 1/2 inch-thick fresh Ahi steaks quick char-grilled with lemon and butter to a nice medium - then built the sandwich with thick slices of butter-griddled sour dough bread topped with cheese (not sure what kind but probably mild cheddar or maybe gouda) then plenty of grilled sweet onions and a little tartar sauce. Served with some excellent hand-cut French fries.

Man-oh-man... Heaven on a plate!

Went back a few years later and while it wasn't on the menu they talked the cook into making it for us and it was just as good as I remembered. Don't even know if the restaurant is still there but it's still the gold standard for tuna melts in my opinion.

Edited by xxchef (log)

The Big Cheese

BlackMesaRanch.com

My Blog: "The Kitchen Chronicles"

BMR on FaceBook

"The Flavor of the White Mountains"

I can't remember the last time I ordered a tuna melt, grilled cheese or most any other kind of grilled or hot sandwich. I probably won't have one made outside of my own house. When did it become acceptable to put any of these sandwiches into a panini press? This is not a good thing.

When I make them at home, I spread butter on a slice of good, not too hearty sandwich bread and turn it over. I top that with a slice of cheese - my mood will determine the choice - cheddar and swiss are the most common. Tuna made with Helman's mayonnaise, not too wet, on top of that followed by another slice of cheese and bread with butter. That all goes into a cast iron pan and a sandwich press on top - not too much pressure. When it is golden brown, flip, repeat, cut and eat.

Dan

What's wrong with a tuna melt on a panini press?

I think panini presses are temperamental.

If there is too much/little filling, cheese is too cold, filling is too soft, etc You end up with a sandwich that is too crispy/soggy, cheese not melted, falling out the sides and burning and so on.

Maybe I just have bad luck with presses but for me its a lot easier to use a split method and assemble close to finish.

As for the actual sandwich...im a big fan of tuna melts. I prefer olive oil packed tuna, well drained. The oil packed tuna is a lot more moist and requires less mayo. Extra sharp cheddar.

Edited by ChickenStu (log)