• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cucumber-Coconut Gazpacho with Basil Puree

isomer

Cucumber-Coconut Gazpacho with Basil Puree

Serves 4.

Adapted from Simple to Spectacular by Jean-Georges Vongerichten and Mark Bittman.

This is one of my favourite, and most used cook books. Highly recommended.

Soup

• 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
  • 2 T extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 pound cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
  • 1-1/4 c chicken stock
  • 1 c canned, unsweetened coconut milk
  • 1/2 c mint leaves
  • hot sauce, to taste
  • 1 tsp lime juice or more, to taste
  • 1 T nam pla or to taste

Basil or Cilantro Puree

• 1/2 c basil or cilantro leaves, washed and dried
  • extra-virgin olive oil

1. Sweat the onions and garlic in a pan with the olive oil until softened.

2. Add the cucumber, and cook until firm-tender.

3. Add the chicken stock, and cook 5 minutes, then add the coconut milk, and cook another 2-3 minutes.

4. Add the mint, nam pla, hot sauce, lime juice, and season to taste with salt and pepper.

5. Remove from heat.

6. When the soup has cooled somewhat, blend in batches in a blender until smooth. Taste again, once cooled, and adjust seasonings as needed.

7. Refrigerate soup.

8. Make the puree by washing and drying about 1/2 cup basil or cilantro leaves, and putting them in the blender. Then, with the blender running, drizzle in just enough EVO to make a smooth paste. I like the texture to be a bit thicker than the soup.

Notes

1. To make this lower in fat, I've successfully substituted half of the coconut milk with light coconut milk. The texture is not markedly different.

2. I like to serve the soup with a drizzle of puree, and to make it into a light main course, with one or two grilled shrimp.

Keywords: Soup, Easy, Blender

( RG2130 )