• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spicy Sweet Walnuts

JAZ

Spicy Sweet Walnuts

• 1 lb walnut halves and pieces
  • 1/2 c granulated sugar
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 3 T vegetable oil
  • salt

Place the nuts in a large heat-proof bowl. Cover them with boiling water and let sit for a minute or so. (Alternately, you can bring a pot of water to a boil and add the nuts.)

Drain and pour back into the bowl.

Mix the sugar and cayenne and pour over the nuts. Add the oil and mix well. The sugar will dissolve and form a syrup.

Spread the nuts out onto a rimmed baking sheet (you can line with a silicone baking mat if you like), spreading them out into a single layer as much as possible.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 35 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes or so. You want them to get deep golden brown, and I've found that the time can vary. Start checking them at 25 minutes, but they can sometimes take much longer.

Remove from the oven and sprinkle heavily with salt. Let cool and remove from pan.

These can be stored for a week or so in an airtight container, or they freeze for months.

Keywords: Amuse, Easy, Snack

( RG1620 )

• Like 1

• 9 years later...

In preparation for the most recent forum upgrade, there was discussion of establishing a "rating" option for Recipe Gullet entries.  If that had happened, this is one I would have given my very top rating!  

They come out nicely toasted with just the lightest coating of sugar and spice so the nuts are the star of the show - light and crisp, not sticky or gooey.

The version I printed out years ago (Spicy Sweet Walnuts.pdf) gives a range of 1/2 to 1 1/2 teaspoons of cayenne and depending on the use, I like them on the spicier end of that range.

This method works great with pecans and I've tried it with almonds and hazelnuts and they are OK but those smoother nuts can't pick up as much of the coating as the nooks and crannies in walnuts and pecans.

Other spices are fun to play with, too.  I like a mix of cayenne and chipotle the best.

I make them all year but thought I'd give them a plug now since it's the season and all!

My top rating:  *****!

• Like 3

21 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

In preparation for the most recent forum upgrade, there was discussion of establishing a "rating" option for Recipe Gullet entries.  If that had happened, this is one I would have given my very top rating!  

They come out nicely toasted with just the lightest coating of sugar and spice so the nuts are the star of the show - light and crisp, not sticky or gooey.

The version I printed out years ago (Spicy Sweet Walnuts.pdf) gives a range of 1/2 to 1 1/2 teaspoons of cayenne and depending on the use, I like them on the spicier end of that range.

This method works great with pecans and I've tried it with almonds and hazelnuts and they are OK but those smoother nuts can't pick up as much of the coating as the nooks and crannies in walnuts and pecans.

Other spices are fun to play with, too.  I like a mix of cayenne and chipotle the best.

I make them all year but thought I'd give them a plug now since it's the season and all!

My top rating:  *****!

Oooohhh. Thanks for bumping that one back up. Trying it with pecans.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Just made these and now I can't stop eating them!  Sheesh. Gotta stop reading eG. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I often do this recipe with pecans, just because I like them better than walnuts. (Now you've all got me thinking that I might need to make a batch to top salad on Monday night, when we've invited friends to join us.) They get rave reviews from everyone, except the friend who tried to make them and somehow managed to burn them three times running. (I've never had that problem.)

I like this recipe much much better than similar versions that contain egg white.

• Thanks 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

• 1 month later...

Sounds deelish, but why do they need to be covered with boiling water for a minute?  Is it just to wet them so that the spices can stick?  Or is it just a way to melt the sugar with the residual heat? 

Would there be any nutrition lost from the skins in the discarded water?

It certainly helps the sugar and spices to stick, but when you pour off the water, it's noticeably brown, and I think it might help to remove some of the bitterness from the skins.

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2