• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ling's Favorite Brownies (revised 08/22/05)

Ling

Ling's Favourite Brownies (revised 08/22/05)

Serves 10 as Dessert.

I've been playing around with my brownie recipe for a few months, and I'm pretty happy with this version. Not only is it easy to put together, but it produces the densest, fudgiest brownies I've ever tasted.

I've used both Scharffen Berger and Valrhona for this recipe. Use whichever chocolate you like, as long as it's of good quality.

• 5 oz unsweetened Scharffen Berger chocolate
  • 3 oz bittersweet (70%) Scharffen Berger or Valrhona Guanaja
  • 2 c granulated sugar
  • 1 c butter
  • 1 T vanilla extract
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 c flour (dip and sweep)
  • 2 T cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt

1. Melt the butter and both types of chocolate over medium heat in a saucepan.

2. Beat eggs in mixing bowl with a hand mixer on high speed for 4 minutes, until pale.

3. Gradually add sugar and vanilla extract.

4. Temper the eggs with the chocolate mixture, then add all of the mixture into the bowl.

5. Slowly incorporate the flour, salt, and cocoa. Beat the batter vigorously with a wooden spoon for about 30 seconds until the batter looks shiny.

6. Pour batter into an ungreased, non-stick pan (I use a 9" cake round, and this fits perfectly.) Smooth the top of the batter.

7. Bake in a pre-heated 325 degree oven for approximately 25 minutes (there should be moist crumbs on the skewer when testing for doneness).

"Serves 10" is just an estimate--the brownies are quite rich, so some may be satisfied with just a sliver. However, if you're like me, half the pan will be gone before you know it. 😉

Keywords: Dessert, Easy, Chocolate, Snack, Brownies/Bars, American

( RG1291 )