• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Carrot/Sorrel/Ginger Soup

andiesenji

Carrot/Sorrel/Ginger Soup

Serves 0 as Soup.

2 tablespoons canola or light olive oil

3/4 cup chopped onion or half onion/half shallots

1 1/2 tablespoons grated or minced fresh ginger

4 cups shredded carrots, firmly packed

2 cups chopped sorrel, loosely packed

4 cups vegetable or chicken stock or water

kosher salt and pepper to taste

1/2 cup half and half

chiffonade basil leaves

In a large saucepan or evasee heat the oil over medium heat.

Add the onion and ginger, sauté until the onion is transparent but not browned. Remove the onion/ginger and set aside.

Add the carrots and sauté, stirring often, for about 8 minutes, until the carrots begin to soften.

Add the sorrel and toss with the carrots.

Return the shallot/ginger to the pan, mix well.

Add the stock or water.

Increase heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil then reduce to a simmer.

Cover the pan and simmer for minutes, until the carrots are soft and mash easily with a fork.

Remove the pan from heat and allow to cool until just warm.

Transfer the soup to a blender (blend 2 cups at a time) and strain through a fine sieve into a clean saucepan.

When all has been blended and strained, place over medium heat, stirring constantly until the soup just begins to simmer.

If the soup is quite thick, add a little hot water and blend in.

Stir in the half and half and blend well.

Serve with basil chiffonade scattered on top.

May also be served in mugs with cinnamon toast points on the side as a starter.

Orginal Recipe by Andie

This can also be made in the Vita-Mix blender. Simply sauté the onion and ginger as above, set aside.

Then place the carrots and sorrel in the Vita-Mix, add the onion and ginger then the remaining ingredients. It will "cook" in the blender.

( RG1289 )

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett