• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coconut sorbet

andiesenji

Coconut sorbet

I serve a small scoop of this on top of pineapple upside-down cake for a sort of piña colada dessert.

This is also very good with chocolate, particularly on top of melted center chocolate cake.

Coconut sorbet

Yield = 1 1/2 quarts

Coconut milk, 5 cups, canned or fresh made

1 can sweetened condensed milk

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (or Mexican crema)

1/2 cup lightly toasted "macaroon" coconut (very fine grated)

In a heavy sauce pan mix the coconut milk, condensed milk and sugar.

Place over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring often.

Reduce heat to a simmer and simmer for about 5 minutes.

Add the cream and toasted coconut.

Remove from heat, place pan in an ice water bath and whisk until the mixture is cool.

Transfer to a container than seals well and refrigerate for a minimum of three hours.

Process in an ice cream freezer until very thick.

Serve immediately or return to sealed container and store in freezer. Use within two days.

For a frozen piña colada, non-alcoholic.

Add a scoop of this sorbet to chilled pineapple juice in a blender. Run blender until mixture is smooth, transfer to cocktail glass and serve with a straw.

If desired a tot of rum may be added before blending.

Andie Paysinger

( RG1293 )

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett