• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sephardic Charoset

KatieLoeb

Sephardic Charoset

From the Passover thread:

I've been making a sort of improvised Sephardic charoset for the past several years that is always a hit and much tastier than the "standard" mortar.

• 3 apples, cubed
  • 3 pears, cubed
  • 1/2 c each walnuts, almonds, filberts and pistachios, finely chopped
  • 1 handful each dried apricots, golden raisins, and dates, finely chopped
  • Ground Cinnamon
  • Ground Ginger
  • Pinch ground Nutmeg
  • Kosher White Concord wine
  • 1/3 c Honey

Mix together fruits and nuts. Moisten with enough wine and honey to create "mortar-like-texture" and season to taste with ground spices. This is delicious and particularly easy since I cheat and pulse everything except the hand cubed fruit in batches through the food processor and then dump it in a big bowl. I get the fruit stickyness out of the bowl with the wine and honey and mix the spices into the liquids in the processor as well. Makes for a very evenly flavored mixture. Voila! Couldn't be easier. This seems to be particularly popular with children and is a great way to get them to eat something half good for them.

Keywords: Kosher, Fruit, Condiment, Jewish, Passover

( RG264 )

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol