• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Green chutney (Haree chutney)

Suvir Saran

Green chutney (Haree chutney)

Almost every north Indian home makes a version of this recipe that is unique to that family. In many homes, it's served with every meal. The last time I was in India I was ecstatic for the simple reason that every single day I was able to eat fresh green chutney made with mint, cilantro and green mango.

This recipe is easy to vary. You can omit the mint and use cilantro alone. Or you can use chopped green mango, if you can find it -- the mango gives the chutney a delicious sour taste. Increase the number of chilies (I have been known to add up to 10) to make a hot pepper chutney. Or you can make a mint chutney by increasing the mint and using less cilantro (but do include some cilantro or the chutney will be bitter). Suvir Saran

• 1-1/2 c firmly packed, chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1/2 c firmly packed mint leaves
  • 2 to 3 fresh, hot green chilies, stemmed
  • 2 inches fresh ginger, peeled and cut into chunks
  • 1/2 red onion, quartered
  • Juice of 2 lemons
  • 1 T sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 c water

Combine all of the ingredients in a blender and process to a puree. (This won’t blend easily; you’ll need to stop and start the blending and scrape and stir the ingredients often to get the mixture to catch. You can add a bit more water to facilitate the process but the flavor of the chutney will be milder.) Makes 1 1/2 cups.

Keywords: Easy, Blender, Condiment, Indian, The Daily Gullet

( RG182 )