• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Panier's Tart Belle-Hélène (Seattle)

fooey

Le Panier in Seattle's Pike's Place Market is one of my favorite bakeries.

They offer a tarte called Tarte Belle-Hélène.

It sounds similar to this tarte.

Le Panier's version is an open-faced tarte, however, and almond creme is used, not chocolate creme (at least that's my best guess). Pieces of chopped, dark chocolate are added along with the pears (I think).

What might this almond creme be, exactly? Recipe suggestions?

Anyone have a version similar to this?

Also, one thing I noticed about their tarte pastry is that it's layered. It's not the usual shortcrust pastry. If you look closely, it almost looks laminated. Is this just unique to Le Panier. Is there a type of tarte pastry I'm not familiar with that's laminated (it's not puff)? What's it called? How is it made? Folded and rolled out? Recipe?

Edited by fooey (log)

Fooey's Flickr Food Fotography

Brünnhilde, so help me, if you don't get out of the oven and empty the dishwasher, you won't be allowed anywhere near the table when we're flambeéing the Cherries Jubilee.

Could the filling be frangipane, like the filling in pithivier?

The dough could be:

Blitz Puff

Puff

Danish

Croissant

Could be, but it seems more like an almond custard.

I'm sure I can find an almond custard somewhere, so I'll try both. :)

Brünnhilde, so help me, if you don't get out of the oven and empty the dishwasher, you won't be allowed anywhere near the table when we're flambeéing the Cherries Jubilee.

Could be almond flavored pastry cream.

Have you tried asking them what it's made of?

I almost wonder if it's half almond custard or pastry creme and half frangipani. The texture is smooth AND gritty (not all smooth like creme, not all gritty like frangipani). It reminds me of when you mix in "the crunchies" that come with the yogurt and it's both crunchy and creamy at once.

I don't live in Seattle anymore, but I sent them an email this morning. If they respond, I'll ask if I can post it here.

It's really an exceptional tarte: pear, almond and chocolate grace notes. It just works really well, flavour and texture both.

Pierre Hermé also has a version that sounds interesting. No chocolate, but that filling could have a secret or two in it, especially the creme fraiche. I'll make that one too.

Edited by fooey (log)

Le Panier responded to my email. I didn't get the exact recipe, but looks like we were close. It is puff pastry after all.

Since it's not the exact recipe, I guess I can post the response:

Hello Michael,

Thanks for your enthusiasm! I can't share the exact recipe, but we're happy to share the highlights:

-Puff pastry (we make our own, but you can purchase it ready-made.)

-Almond cream (made of butter, sugar, almond meal, eggs, flour, vanilla, & rum aroma paste)

-Pears

-Chocolate pistole, semi-sweet 58% (the brand we use is Cacao Barry)

-Sliced almonds

C'est tout. (That's all!) I was asking our bakers, and they said the key to puff pastry (if you're going to make it yourself) is to be sure the temperatures of the dough and the butter are compatible. (So they blend well together.)

I hope that helps. Please let us know if you have more questions.

Merci bien,

Karin

I found some of the Rum Aroma Paste here.

They have all sorts of other delicious pastes too, but they're not cheap.

Someone hide my wallet! Please! Quickly!

Edited by fooey (log)