• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

favorite 'winter' drinks?

Graphix

I've been drinking hot toddies:

3 oz boiling water

2 oz Laphroig 10y

1 t demerara

My mom used to always burn piney, smokey incense during Christmas to compliment the smell of the tree. Instead of that, I've been drinking these hot toddies that sweeten the air with their smokiness and combine with the scent of the tree: instant nostalgia.

Sir, you speak the language of my tribe!

aka David Wondrich

There are, according to recent statistics, 147 female bartenders in the United States. In the United Kingdom the barmaid is a feature of the wayside inn, and is a young woman of intelligence and rare sagacity. --The Syracuse Standard, 1895

I've been drinking hot toddies:

3 oz boiling water

2 oz Laphroig 10y

1 t demerara

My mom used to always burn piney, smokey incense during Christmas to compliment the smell of the tree. Instead of that, I've been drinking these hot toddies that sweeten the air with their smokiness and combine with the scent of the tree: instant nostalgia.

Sir, you speak the language of my tribe!

I just made the aforementioned hot toddy with Peat Monster, and now I'm feeling warm, cozy, and positively bursting with holiday cheer.

"Martinis should always be stirred, not shaken, so that the molecules lie sensuously one on top of the other." - W. Somerset Maugham

Tonight we are drinking Hot Winter Cider. Basically a hot buttered rhum apple cider.

Mull apple juice with orange peel, star anise, cinnamon sticks, and cloves.

Make a compound butter with equal parts brown sugar and unsalted butter with cinnamon, clove, and allspice.

Add two teaspoons of compound butter to the cider with a couple of ounces of Barbancourt 8yr (or whatever) and enjoy!!

I also like Audrey's recipe for Tom and Jerry's but my family cant wrap their heads around hot nog.

Edited by E.B.Adkins (log)

I'm still tinkering with my "Noël" , a cross between the Alexander and Widow's Kiss

1 1/2 ozs apple brandy

1 oz Bénédictine

1 oz cream

3 dashes Angostura bitters

Shake hard, double strain, top w/ground nutmeg

(this can also be made splitting the ounce of Bénédictine into 1/2oz Bénédictine, 1/2 oz St. E's Allspice Dram)

I just whipped this up. Interesting, though I think I may have over diluted with my shaking to emulsify the cream. guess I need bigger ice cubes.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

41 Jane Doe’s

1 oz Laird’s Applejack

1 oz Rothman & Winter Pear Liqueur

.75 oz Lemon Juice

.75 oz Simple Syrup

1 Egg White

Glass: Coupe

Garnish: 7 drops Grandma’s Tinksure

Ice: None

Still don't know what Grandma's up to, but I revised this slightly to:

1 oz applejack

1 oz R&W pear

3/4 lemon

1/2 2:1 gum syrup

egg white

Fee's OF -- which I dashed into the drink instead of a garnish.

We have house unanimity on the deliciousness of this drink.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Hot Apple Pie

Mug of hot mulled apple cider

Generous shot of Tuaca

Whipped cream on top

Sprinkle of nutmeg

This drink is perfect.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

The Fee's OFA bitters are a great sub for Grandma's tinksure. We put Cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, allspice and blade mace in neutral grain spirit.

I am really glad you like that one . It was one of the first drinks that I came up with at Milk & Honey back in 2000. I can't believe it was almost a decade ago.

This is The Winter Sidecar at TVH. I am sure that there will be a purist out there shaking their fist at me for this...

Winter Sidecar

2.0 oz Maison Surrenne Cognac

.75 oz Fresh Lemon Juice

.50 oz Carpano Antica

.25 oz Demerara Syrup (Skinny)

13 Drops Regans Orange Bitters

Glass: Coupe

Ice: None

Garnish: 5 Spice

Shake. Strain.

I know that there is no orange liqueur in this drink, but the Carpano and the orange bitters really work together and make it seem like there is. Then you have the richness of the Demerara which really makes it lush and comforting. We are mixing and grinding our own 5 spice (we are going heavy on the ginger) to a very fine grind so there is no grit on top of the drink.

Cheers,

Toby

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE