• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Espresso Machine $800 +/-

petit cochon

My fiance and I are in the process of building a wedding registry at Sur La Table - and we could really use some advice about espresso machines! Apologies in advance if this is a redundant question - I couldn't manage to uncover any answers in the coffee/tea thread...

The question: Espresso I've had in Italy always seems much more concentrated (more flavor and MUCH less liquid) than 'espresso' in the US. I really prefer the Italian style - is achieving that as simple as just putting less water in the machine? Or do I need a machine that is specifically designed to produce that kind of espresso? If so, any particular brands? We're looking to stay in the <$800-or-so price range - this will be the most expensive item on our registry by far and we know that it will be an EXTREMELY generous gift - but we're hoping for a high-quality machine that we'll be able to enjoy for years to come! (Because after all, isn't good espresso an important part of a happy marriage? :laugh: )

What machines in your price range does SLT carry?

Richard,

Thanks for asking! Screening out the capsule / super-automatic machines (which are not what I'm looking for), we are left with a few machines by Gaggia, FrancisFrancis, and Breville:

Gaggia - Espresso Dose, Baby Twin, Classic Espresso, Baby Class, New Baby

FrancisFrancis - X1 Ground

Breville - Espresso Machine (?), Cafe Roma Espresso Maker

Out of that selection, I am most intrigued by the Gaggia Espresso Dose machine - because of its claim that "The Dosage button allows the machine to memorize the preferred amount of coffee that goes for 1 or 2 cups of espresso." I've also always (since I can remember!) loved the LOOK of the FrancisFrancis machines - but again, I'm looking for the ability to create a short Italian-style espresso rather than a more voluminous American shot (apologies as I'm SURE I lack the vocabulary to properly express this!).

I really appreciate your advice - even if it is that you don't think ANY of these will do what I want and I should save up for something entirely different further down the line!

Thanks!

Linnea

What machines in your price range does SLT carry?

Richard,

Thanks for asking! Screening out the capsule / super-automatic machines (which are not what I'm looking for), we are left with a few machines by Gaggia, FrancisFrancis, and Breville:

Gaggia - Espresso Dose, Baby Twin, Classic Espresso, Baby Class, New Baby

FrancisFrancis - X1 Ground

Breville - Espresso Machine (?), Cafe Roma Espresso Maker

Out of that selection, I am most intrigued by the Gaggia Espresso Dose machine - because of its claim that "The Dosage button allows the machine to memorize the preferred amount of coffee that goes for 1 or 2 cups of espresso." I've also always (since I can remember!) loved the LOOK of the FrancisFrancis machines - but again, I'm looking for the ability to create a short Italian-style espresso rather than a more voluminous American shot (apologies as I'm SURE I lack the vocabulary to properly express this!).

I really appreciate your advice - even if it is that you don't think ANY of these will do what I want and I should save up for something entirely different further down the line!

Thanks!

Linnea

While pleased to drink espresso, I am not an espresso machine owner or operator, so someone else can answer your question much better than I can. In the meantime, take a look at post #108 in this topic. Is that the Breville you are looking at? If so there is a comment on it.

I do think you can do better than the Francis Francis in your price range. You may want to do a search in this topic and in the whole Coffee and Tea forum on "Silvia", one of the best machines in that ranige.

Someone else please help her out.

I have the Rancilio Miss Silvia and it is a marvellous machine.

That having been said, it requires a good grinder as a partner. I have the Rancilio Rocky grinder, which provides a grind that feels like a coarse talcum powder, which is what you want.

Being a manual rather than an automatic machine, Silvia is a bit like the slow food equivalent of a coffee machine. If you like making sauces and other foods from first principles, it is probably for you. If you want more convenience, go for a more automatic machine.

As mentioned above, search eGullet for posts on the machines or, alternatively, try the coffeegeek site for more information (www.coffeegeek.com).

A detailed first look at the machine is given at this link: http://coffeegeek.com/proreviews/firstlook/ranciliosilvia

As you will see from that site, the search for the perfect cup of coffee can become something of an obsession.

Enjoy :wink:

Edited by nickrey (log)

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Another Rancilio Silvia fan here. Basic summary here. I have many opinions about this and will be happy to weigh in, but we're serious coffee drinkers while not serious coffee obsessives, and the Silvia fits us fine.

Nothing wrong with obsessives, mind you. :wink:

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Silvia fan and owner here - along with Rocky grinder. As said above, this is not a "set it, and forget it" type of unit. Freshness of coffee, proper grind, proper tamping, good water, etc. are all very important. Silvia is finicky; however, the newer units are pod adaptable and right in that price range.

And remember, coffee making in general, and espresso making in particular, make a big mess.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Silvia fan and owner here - along with Rocky grinder.  As said above, this is not a "set it, and forget it" type of unit.  Freshness of coffee, proper grind, proper tamping, good water, etc. are all very important. Silvia is finicky; however, the newer units are pod adaptable and right in that price range.

And remember, coffee making in general, and espresso making in particular, make a big mess.

Yes, do allow for the cost of a really good grinder if you do not get an automatic that will do the grinding too. The Rocky is great, though not inexpensive. It's what I use for my French Press coffee daily.