• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Tea Are You Drinking Today? (Part 1)

Richard Kilgore

And that is a good point about a glass kettle. As I wrote in another topic, I'd like to get a new teakettle that would pour more neatly than my basic revere. Do you know what brand/model your glass kettle is?

Yes, I addressed that very question over in the Let's See Your Teaware topic.

Started today with the Yunnan Imperial from TCC. Then a fine sencha from o-cha.com.

What teas are you all drinking today?

Followed by an after dinner shu pu-erh. This is a dirt cheap tuo that is better than it ought to be for as young as it is. It's a 2008 Nan Jian Tulin 803 Ripe Pu-erh tea tuo from Yunnan Sourcing on eBay.

Started with an Assam from TCC this morning. Then brewed a Teance gyokuro for my Adventures in Gyokuro Brewing in the Japanese Green Tea topic. Finally, I think, I am brewing another Pai Mu Tan white tea I picked up at TCC last week. It's from their new "Cup of Value" line. More on that soon in the White & Yellow Tea topic.

Do you know what brand/model your glass kettle is?

Yes, I addressed that very question over in the Let's See Your Teaware topic.

Hadn't realized the capresso was a glass kettle. I was imagining a more formidable metal box designed for making expressos, just from the name, and hadn't googled to see what it looks like.

Today's teas were a Pouchong from Chado, brewed in a bit of a hurry with water from the hot water tap of the water cooler; and then later some keemun Mao Feng, also from Chado. Still can't find the chocolate notes that are reputed to be there in the Keemun.

Today I am enjoying a Phoenix Mountain Dan Cong Oolong from The Cultured Cup, brewed in a half-filled larger Yixing of indeterminate age, but made with good clay that is extinct - that is, no longer mined. I am brewing in a manner similar to what cdh prefers, a modified gong fu cha approach using about twice as much leaf as I would brewing western style, so 5 g to about 200 ml water, 195 F, for 2 minutes first infusion. I know this leaf well and it will go for as many as 9 infusions brewed this way.

So, what's brewing in your part of the eGullet Society universe today?

Today we're sharing a thermos full of My linkPurple Bud Sheng Pu-Erh 2006 from Norbutea.com. This is only the 2nd time I've brewed this tea; the first time was gongfu style. This time was about 2.5 grams of tea to eventually yield one quart of tea, with the water just off the boil. Total brewing time was probably only 5 minutes divided among 6 or 7 infusions. It's standing up the the abusive brewing conditions just fine, a little sweet, a little fruity, and just hints of smoky and earthy. Very nice. And it's getting raves from the other two sharing it.

Will have to see if I can get more from these leaves later on, because at this rate I'll run out before the end of my evening.

Late note: Yesterday I made another matcha smoothie. Tasty and has some matcha zip to it. Also continued with my Adventures in Gyokuro Brewing in the Japanese Green Tea topic.

More of the '09 spring Tie Guan Yin from norbu. Love love this tea. 5g to one quart of water; came back three hours later, rinsed the leaves, got another (somewhat weaker) pint out of them.

Still an hour plus to go of paperwork, next up, some medium grade jasmine from wing hop fung.

BTW, that was not a felicitious transition from the Tie Guan Yin to the jasmine--2.5g of jasmine infused twice at 200mL per infusion was quite thin and weak by comparison, plus had a bitter undertone that threatened to dominate if I simply increased the leaf to water ratio. It's not really fair to the jasmine, which was a nice enough tea, to put it in such close proximity to the splendid Tie Guan Yin. Should have gone with a solid puerh.

Each time I come back to this page now, I see that mention of the Dan Cong Oolong and I get more excited about my tea tasting adventure next week, when I'm going to Tea Habitat for a tasting class, hoping to come home with a few single-bush treasures. But today, I'm enjoying more of the aged loose pu-erh from Chado, CRL-17, which is earthy, sweet, gentle, and lovely. I'm finishing off a bulk-brewed thermos of it, and it's good to the last drop.

But next week, Dan Congs, here I come!

I'll look forward to reading about your Tea Habitat Dan Cong adventure, WmC.

Today I started with the Assam Napuk from TCC - one of several regular morning Assam for me. This has been an eclectic tea drinking day: the Assam was followed by an Anxi Ba Xian from jingteashop.com, a matcha smoothie and the Cultured Cup's Kukicha Fukamushi that was featured in a Tea Tasting and Discussion in this forum.

I used the Kukicha as part of my evaluation of the brewing effects of two Japanese kyusu with different clay composition. More on this later in the week.

Hello-I am still learning this system.I accidentlly posted this on the beer forum too and am not sure how to delete it from there. Richard? Anyways, I meant to write here that I attended a tasting of Korean teas.I was not told the names of the teas, but my favorite one reminded me of a Dragon Well with a slight roasted rice flavor. And, these teas were served on a set made in the studio of Korea's Living National Treasure. This made the event even more special.

Edited by Naftal (log)

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

Today I opened a bag of Organic Kumamoto Sencha Yabe Supreme from kuuki-cha.com. Brewed in a Banko kyusu, this is a very nice sencha. More on this in the Japanese Green Tea topic after I have had a chance to brew it another time or two.

The Republic of Tea's Big Green Hojicha.

The Tea Companion recommends a 20-second steep at 203F, but instructions on the package say 2-4 minutes at that temp, so who knows?!

I did 170 F for 3 minutes and it was great, so maybe I'll risk the off boil.

It's quite wonderful, very low in caffeine/theophylline (5mg/cup), and is relaxing and enjoyable. If it didn't say green tea on the label, I'd think it an oolong.

Edited by fooey (log)

Fooey's Flickr Food Fotography

Brünnhilde, so help me, if you don't get out of the oven and empty the dishwasher, you won't be allowed anywhere near the table when we're flambeéing the Cherries Jubilee.

Today I opened a bag of Organic Kumamoto Sencha Yabe Supreme from kuuki-cha.com. Brewed in a Banko kyusu, this is a very nice sencha. More on this in the Japanese Green Tea topic after I have had a chance to brew it another time or two.

I have brewed this a second time tonight following the kuukicha.com directions explicitly. All I can say is, "Wow!" Okay, that's not all I can say, but I'll do that later in the Japanese Green Tea topic.