• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pastry and Baking Books

gap

Hi,

I'm a very enthusiastic amateur in pastry. I've done a lot of chocolate/ice-cream work and am slowly working into other areas such as macaroons, tarts and entremets. I attend a pastry school in my local area when time/money allow.

I was wondering what the professionals out there thought were the best Pastry/Baking books going around that were all encompassing - ie., have a good explanation of theory and technique and also a lot of different/varied recipes to try.

I have the CIA/Peter Grewelling Chocolates and Confections book and love this from a chocolate perspective - lots on information, lots of explanation on ingredients, theory and techniques as well as the recipes and photos (which always help).

Looking through my local chefs cookbook store, there are some names which do seem to appear often, such as:

- The Professional Pastry Chef/The Advanced Professional Pastry Chef (Bo Friberg)

- Baking & Pastry: Mastering the Art & Craft (CIA)

- Advanced Bread and Pastry (Michel Suas)

- Professional Baking (Wayne Gisslen - LCB)

What do you think of these books? Are there better ones out there? What is your standout pastry/baking book?

Thanks for any thoughts

Edited by gap (log)

I applaud your interest and dedication. If you want good information on a broad subject range, I would recommend the Michel Suas book. I would also suggest you get the new book "Frozen Desserts" by CIA/Francisco Migoya. This concentrates on ice creams and other frozen desserts with beautiful photos of plated desserts made with the frozen confections.

I wouldn't necessarily go for the Friberg books unless you just want a collection of recipes. There isn't a whole lot of discussion on theory/method included.

The Gisslen book is also good, but pretty basic. Depending on your skill level it might be too basic, while at the same time being all encompassing. I like Gisslen's approach on some things and the newest edition has great photos of many of the production steps which is always good to have.

Thanks alanamoana.

I've already ordered the 'Frozen Desserts' CIA book (I think I read your recommendation on that somewhere else on the forum as well) and am trying not to think about it while I wait on the long lead-time for it to arrive here in Australia.

Gisslen might be a good place for me to start - I always like to have a good handle on the basics. Then maybe Suas after that.

Does anyone have any thoguhts on the Gisslen v Baking & Patry (CIA) books? They both look like they're aimed at students (which I think would be good for me to start with) - has anyone studied from them?

When I started about a year ago trying to teach myself the principles of baking, I considered the Gisslen and Baking and Pastry book. I ended up with Gisslen and have not regretted it.

I find that it contains enough material on the basics and techniques to teach me, without walking me through every single step in a recipe. Once you know the technique used, the recipe is used only for the ingredients list.

Others may disagree, but I find the Gisslen book to be the best semi-professional/student book I have looked at or used so far.

The Gisslen book and the CIA book and a third book you don't mention - Labensky's "On Baking" - are, between them, the standard textbooks for the baking programs at most North American professional culinary schools. Which one you use just depends on what school you went to. I don't think you'll go wrong with any of them.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

The Gisslen book and the CIA book and a third book you don't mention - Labensky's "On Baking" - are, between them, the standard textbooks for the baking programs at most North American professional culinary schools. Which one you use just depends on what school you went to. I don't think you'll go wrong with any of them.

Thanks for that - I had seen the On Baking book as well but was thought I probably had enough to choose from without throwing another into the mix