• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kalamansi - Where to buy a whole plant?

yasuofenix

Hello all,

I was visiting family in the Philippines and got my full of Kalamansi, but now that i'm back I miss the stuff. My uncle use to have a plant but it died. Does anyone know where I can buy a Kalamansi plant? I live in New York City, and my uncle bought his in Chinatown but none are to be seen.

Any suggestions are great.

Thanks!

You should have no trouble finding one in most good, large nurseries. I've grown them in the States for years, after encountering them in the PI when we lived there in the late 60's.

But in the US, they're called Calamondin Oranges.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I live in NYC and have a couple of dwarf citrus trees in my apartment - a lime and a lemon... they're dwarf sized trees but yield full sized fruit... I got both from Four Winds Growers in CA.... they have a lot of variety, including the Calamandins...

• 2 weeks later...
thanks a lot Kenneth.  Lucky for me I know someone in Fremont, CA so they can go check the stuff out for me.

Or you can do a search right there where you live in New York for Calamondin Oranges. I just googled New York City and Calamondin Oranges and it turns out the New York Times has done several articles on them.

I'd think that would be easier than looking all the way across the country.

Google Search for New York City & Calamondin Oranges

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Jaymes,

Thanks for the info, I already did that search and it led me to where Kenneth recommended. Its not so easy, but I did read someone bought a plant at Lowe's. I find that strange, thats the last place I would think to look.

My uncle bought his in Chinatown a long time ago, but none to be found anymore.

My girlfriend's family is in Fremont and she'll be there next week so it would be good to talk to the people personally.

My family is from the Philippines so I'm familiar with the Filipino markets around the area but its never the same. Its so sweet. Anyway... I'm going on and on.

Have you ever tried Kalamansi Jaymes? Any other BRIGHT ideas?

Jaymes,

Thanks for the info, I already did that search and it led me to where Kenneth recommended.  Its not so easy, but I did read someone bought a plant at Lowe's.  I find that strange, thats the last place I would think to look.

My uncle bought his in Chinatown a long time ago, but none to be found anymore. 

My girlfriend's family is in Fremont and she'll be there next week so it would be good to talk to the people personally.

My family is from the Philippines so I'm familiar with the Filipino markets around the area but its never the same.  Its so sweet.  Anyway... I'm going on and on. 

Have you ever tried Kalamansi Jaymes?  Any other BRIGHT ideas?

Yep, I've sure "tried Kalamansi"! I lived in the PI for about four years (probably before you were born - late 60's) and ever since have been the proud owner of a Calamondin/Kalamansi tree/bush. I've moved around a lot, so when I was living somewhere where they would grow outside (like southern California, NM, Texas, Florida and Arizona) planted them in my yard. When I've lived in more northern climes, had them as houseplants. I'm sure that as a Filipino, you're more than familiar with "Kalamansi-aide," but I also love Kalamansi Marmalade. And I'm sure I'm not sharing any "bright ideas" with you regarding using them to squeeze over your papaya, or marinate your ceviche, or use them every other way in which you would use a bitter citrus like lemons and limes, but you might not have thought to use them in several Mexican dishes that call for sour oranges - like Cochinita Pibil.

As for being surprised to find them at Lowe's... Like I said, in the US they're a fairly popular "ornamental" houseplant and I've not had difficulty finding them. BTW, I'm always amused when I read an article saying that the fruit is "pretty but not edible."

Good luck to you and I hope you find your tree soon.