• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beans on Toast

pjs

I only know two ways of making Beans on Toast.

The classic British method of pouring a heated up can of tomatoey beans over day-old toasted bread. This is especially good for dinner after a prolonged, mind-numbing drinking bout. I enjoy this four or five times a year.

-and-

The Italian version--Zuppa di Cannellini con Aglio e Prezzemolo--which is a thick soup of white beans, garlic, parsley, olive oil and stock served on a toasted crouton. I enjoy this far more often as--when somewhat sober--I can remember what a knife is and how to use it.

I'm wondering if any other permutations exist.

PJ

Oh yeah, the Italian beans are simple, the British beans are sublime.

*Edited to be more imaginative and less dysphonic. Insert a smiley with a shit-eating grin here.

"Epater les bourgeois."

--Lester Bangs via Bruce Sterling

(Dori Bangs)

Toasted baked bean and cheese sandwich with HP sauce made in one of those hinged sandwich thingies. You have to let them cool down a bit though as the beans and tomato sauce appear to be extremely efficient at retaining heat and will burn the roof of your mouth if you are not careful.

Raymond Blanc was interviewed in the Guardian last week.  A chef of some respect & what did they talk about?  Baked beans - what a waste.  Ah, well, here's the link:  Guardian

Thanks for that link. From there I went to Raymond Blanc's website and if you haven't been there, try it out. A friend who's a chef at a 5 star resort had suggested that I try rubbing a pork roast with the paste from vanilla beans. I did and thought the subtlety of it needed something more - like prunes. So, lo and behold Raymond has a recipe for pork loin stuffed with prunes. Might be just the thing to add some vanilla paste to.

I know this is a long way from beans on toast but what the hell.

Go to the site, hit "recipes" over on left and search away to your heart's delight. "Pork and prunes" brings up the above recipe.

Raymond Blanc

pjs, how many kinds of beans are there? Of toastable bread? Of sauces?

It's a big world.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Jinmyo: actually I was thinking about a Spanish/Portuguese version. Not too far removed from the Italian one. I did buy some Chorizos today. Spices? I'm still hoping someone has a tapas recipe.

Andy: I will look for that infernal hinged sandwich thingie in my mother's garage. That sounds dangerous--I like that.

PJ

"Epater les bourgeois."

--Lester Bangs via Bruce Sterling

(Dori Bangs)

if you're going a l'anglaise remember to butter the toast - makes all the difference

or margarine it if you're going for that authentic butlins holiday camp experience

the bread must be white. the beanz must be heinz.

J

ps other variations - chuck in mascarpone for creaminess; add a slick of brown sauce or ketchup. use one of those all-day breakfast / london grill jobs with the added bits and bobs (or chuck in you're own bits). add some chopped tinned tomatos (not the juice - unless its reduced down - is it dilutes the tomato sauce) but never fresh tomatos - not the same.

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!