• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

In Bad Taste?

KristiB50

In Bad Taste? The Adventures and Science Behind Food Delicacies by Massimo Francesco Marcone

Book link HERE

Book Description

Find out the hidden secrets behind the worlds most bizarre food. Why would anyone pay $600 per pound to drink coffee brewed from coffee beans extracted from the feces of a cat-like creature? Or drool over a slice of cheese infested with squirming maggots, or salad dressing oil pressed from argan nuts excreted by goats? In his book, In Bad Taste?, scientist Dr. Massimo Marcone investigates and reveals the hidden secrets behind these bizarre foods. The objects of his curiosity are simply variations people commonly enjoy: coffee, cheese, oil, mushrooms, and caviar. Intuitively one would expect that once Dr. Marcone had revealed their secrets, no one would go near nor even eat them, let alone pay a small fortune for the privilege, but many people do! Part travelogue, part scientific investigation, Dr. Marcone describes his journeys into remote regions around the world, often risking life and limb at the hands of rebel warlords, corrupt police, international smugglers, and hungry crocodiles. His travels to Indonesia and Ethiopia in search of Kopi Luwak scat coffee, to Morocco for argan oil, and to Malaysia for edible birds nests, have led many to call him the Indiana Jones of the food world. His investigations lead to fundamental questions: Why do people eat this food, and what makes it a delicacy? Is it a delicacy simply because it is rare or odd? Why is it so expensive? Is it truly quantifiably different or better than their more conventional varieties? Although not every reader is ready, or even willing to try the delicacies described in this entertaining book, all will surely consume them if only as food for thought. Bon Appetito!

Link to interview and book excerpt here

Edited by KristiB50 (log)

I listened, mesmerized, to his interview on Fresh Air (NPR) last week.

I had heard about the coffee beans before, but the maggot cheese? Never. It was like how people can't help but gawk at an accident- I wanted to turn the station, but I just couldn't "look" away from the horror! (I'm still not over the creepy-crawlies though, I'll admit)

Utterly fascinating. I want this book so badly!

You say I am mysterious. Let me explain myself. In a land of oranges, I am faithful to apples. ~ Elsa Gidlow

I tried Argan oil for the first time last week at the NYC Fancy Foods Show. It good, different and interesting. Was it so good that I would pay a premium for it? No, but I would have it again. If having it again in a way that made me appreciate it even more, then perhaps I would consider a premium. The source of the product is indeed odd, but it does not appear to be dangerous. The lack of danger can not be said about another premium food - blowfish.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

• 1 month later...

I don't know if it is bad taste or not but I sure would not want to sample any of the delicacies in the book "Critter Cuisine" by Al and Mary Ann Clayton. They are a pair of food stylists and photographers from Atlanta GA and after being faced with so many clients with inflated ideas of their impact upon haute cuisine, they published this spoof in 1992. The stylish plating and photography are done in the best glossy cookbook traditions.

A quote from the preface; "...it is intended to be a spoof of the gourmet mania, but it also is a thought provoking look at cultural food prejudices. Why would a sophisticated diner lick, with relish, the last traces of garlic-buttered escargot from his lips but look with disdain at a platter of tadpoles prepared in the same manner.

A sampling of the table of contents gives you an idea; "Armadillo Asado Alomar", "Mixed Lizards Demi-Chaud Froid", "Mouse Kabobs", "Festive Possum" and "Tadpole Consomme".

The dish "Great Balls of Fire" is handled with delicacy but will probably cause a man to shudder.

The cover looks like this;

gallery_50527_4885_20886.jpg