• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

red hembarig

gethin

Does anyone know what red hembarig was and when it ceased production ?

All the references I've seen (usually in recipies for the Roffignac cocktail) refer to it as something that used to be used and most suggest raspberry syrup as a substitute. (though a few suggest grenadine).

I assume that the "hembarig" part is somehow related to the german "himbeere" and that raspberry syrup is going to be more authentic. Is this correct ?

Did "red hembarig" contain anything more than raspberries and sugar ?

Does the Roffignac cocktail date from the 1820's (when Roffignac was mayor of New Orleans ) or is it a later invention named after him ?

gethin

As far as I can determine, it's just raspberry syrup.

The drink's history is a murky one; the earliest references to it I've been able to find date only the turn of the last century, give or take a few years.

In any case, it's unlikely to be much older than the 1850s, when raspberry syrup was the hot new ingredient that everyone was using in their drinks.

aka David Wondrich

There are, according to recent statistics, 147 female bartenders in the United States. In the United Kingdom the barmaid is a feature of the wayside inn, and is a young woman of intelligence and rare sagacity. --The Syracuse Standard, 1895

I assume that the "hembarig" part is somehow related to the german "himbeere" and that raspberry syrup is going to be more authentic.

I would assume that this is simply a mispelling unique to Stanley Clisby Arthur, or perhaps one that was common around New Orleans for a time. One can understand how the German word himbeere could come to be mispronounced "hembarig" over a number of years and generations much the same way, for example, New Jersey Italian-Americans pronounce coppacola as "gabbagool."

The "red" part would refer to red raspberries as opposed to black raspberries.

--