• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Extra rich bread pudding for mock French toast

andiesenji

Extra rich bread pudding for mock French toast

Make this bread pudding up to a day in advance, chill, then slice and cook on a griddle for French Toast, but without the mess.

This is flavored with cinnamon, but one can vary the flavorings to suit your tastes. Dried fruits can be added to the mixture if desired, mixed in just before pouring into the loaf pan.

Extra Rich Bread Pudding

8 extra large eggs

3 cups milk

1 cup cream (or half & half)

2/3 cup sugar (or Splenda to cut calories, it works just fine)

2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract.

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

3/4 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

4 to 5 cups rough bread cubes

(Tear day old bread into pieces about 1 to 1 1/2 inch cubes.)

Spray a large loaf pan with canola oil (or Pam) (can also use a Bundt pan)

Combine eggs, milk and cream, sugar, vanilla, salt and spices in a large bowl.

Beat until eggs are completely blended.

Add the bread cubes and press down into the egg mixture with a spatula. Cover and set aside for about 20 to 30 minutes until the bread has soaked up most of the egg mixture.

Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Pour the mixture into the loaf pan to within 1/2 inch of the top.

Set the loaf pan into a larger baking pan and place in the oven.

Pour boiling water into the pan to about 1 to 1 1/2 inches deep.

Bake for one hour.

Test by inserting a thin knife blade into the pudding near the center.

If it comes out wet continue baking for an additional 10 minutes. Test again until knife blade comes out clean.

(It will take longer to bake in humid weather.)

Remove from oven and immediately brush top with melted butter.

This can be chilled overnight then sliced and the slices fried or grilled, using butter, and served with maple or other syrup, honey or jams and jellies.

Sprinkle with powdered sugar if you must.

This tastes exactly like French toast but is much easier for those who are not skilled in the kitchen.

This makes a great Mother's Day or birthday breakfast for husbands who seldom cook and even for older kids who want to do something nice for Mom without a lot of mess in the kitchen.

For an even more interesting taste, after the slice is on the griddle or in the pan, sprinkle the uncooked top side with granulated maple sugar.

Brush the griddle with melted butter, turn the sugared side onto the griddle. The sugar will carmelize, forming a sweet crust which, when turned again is the presentation side.

( RG1518 )

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett