Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:43 AM
I used to live in Cammeray before moving to London, and love the Japanese pleaces on the north shore; the highlights for me were;
- As mentioned before, Ju Ge Mu & Shimbashi on Military Rd in Neutral bay; they make their own Soba noodles.
- Toriciya in Cammeray; a bit off the beaten track, but a great Izakaya with Yakitori and a fantastic Sake list
- Sushi Counter in Crows Nest; get the Omakase menu; basically the sushi chef chooses the best he has that day to give you
- Rengaya on the cnr of Miller and Blue St in North Sydney; $60 all you can eat Yakiniku Mon-Thurs
- Kyushu in Neutral bay; down a side street near the Oaks. Really good Pork Maki
Other places I love;
- watching Rugby on a Saturday afternoon in the beer garden at the Oaks pub
- Delicado food and Wine on Blues Point Rd. Good Tapas style food. great wines. Great sherry collection
- Paradoxe on Falcon St in Neutral bay
- Il Perugino in Mosman
- Phuong Vietnamese in Crows Nest
- The Burlington in Crows Nest; Matthew Kemp's (Balzac) second restaurant
- Epoque belgian beer bar in Cammeray
- Papaya Thai in Cremorne and Cammeray
- 2060 in Waverton does a great breakfast, and Dinner is pretty good too.
Good foodie shops;
- Hudsons Meats in Cammeray Square; cammeray Sq also has a Harris farm veg shop
- Essential Ingredient
- Kitchen Kapers in Crows Nest for kitchen equipment
- St Honore bakery in North Sydney
The lower north shore doesn't really have any great high end dining places, but is full of some great casual dining places.
'You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.'
- Frank Zappa