Shhhhhhh....Can you all keep a secret? I got a clandestine phone call from Marnie this afternoon and she told me she was standing in front of several cases of the Burgess Cabernet at the 12th & Chestnut store and it wasn't even out on the floor yet. I'll call first thing in the morning and confirm and report back...
The other Burgess wines are on my "Coming soon" list. If they're already out I'll have to go check out some of those as well. I haven't had the pleasure yet but they're priced so reasonably how can you go wrong? The 2000 Cab is is $12.99 and got an 88 in the Wine Dictator
; the 2000 Syrah is $9.99 and got an 87 in the same publication.
Although I haven't tried these particular vintages, I know Burgess to be very consistent and well repsected. At those prices it's worth a little experimentation.
I promised to post this a few days ago and here's my first chance. I have included as much information as I have on each wine including any high scores from the wine press. I qualify this by saying I have not tried all of these wines. It's a dirty job and I'm just the woman to handle it - I'm going to do my damndest to try!
YMMV from said media reviews, but with the winery and vintage you should be able to Google further info and/or tasting notes and see what sounds like it's up your personal taste alley. All wines may not be available at all PLCB Specialty stores.
Also supposedly "Coming Soon to a PLCB Specialty store near you" (and maybe these wines are all arriving now) are:
- Burgess Zinfandel Napa Valley 2000, $7.99 (regularly $22, 90 pts and Editor's Choice" Wine Enthusiast
- St. Supery Meritage Red 1999 @ $22.99 (regularly $50)
- Gainey Vineyard Limited Selection Chardonnay 2001, $12.99 (regularly $28)
- Gainey Vineyard Limited Selection Sauvignon Blanc 2002, $11.99 (regularly $21.49)
- Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough NZ 2004, $11.99 (regularly $17)
- Kim Crawford Pinot Noir Marlborough Anderson Vineyard 2002, $14.99 (regularly $34)
- Kuleto Villa Sangiovese 2000, $11.99 (regularly $24-88 points International Wine Cellar
- Hogue Syrah Genesis 2000, $8.99 (regularly $18.89 - 88 pts. Wine Spectator
- Hanna Cabernet Sauvignon Bismarck Ranch Vineyard 1999, $19.99 (regularly $62!!!! 92 pts. Wine & Spirits
, 89 pts Wine Spectator
- Pine Ridge Merlot Crimson Creek 2000, $12.99 (regularly $30)
- Domaine Carneros by Tattinger "Le Reve" Brut 1997, $12.99 (regularly $28 - 90 pts. Wine Advocate
- Sette Ponti Toscana Oreno 2000, $39.99 (regularly $90!!! 92 pts Wine Spectator
- Toasted Head Russian River Chardonnay 2002, $10.49 (regularly $16.50 - 91 points Wine & Spirits
- Vina Almaviva Puente Alto 2001, $49.99 (regularly $80 - 95 pts Wine Spectator
- Vinas del Monstant "Fra Guerau" 2001, $7.99 (regularly $$18.99 - 88 pts Wine Spectator
That ought to keep you all busy for awhile!
Let's compare notes on any of these that we are able to locate, OK??