What is the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters?
The Society for Culinary Arts & Letters (the “Society”) is a membership organization dedicated to increasing awareness and knowledge of the arts of cooking, eating and drinking, as well as the literature of food and drink. We carry out this purpose in many places and in many ways, but primarily through internet food media. We seek to appeal to a diverse group covering professional and amateur cooks, producers, writers and consumers. The full Society statement of purpose can be found here.
- You agree to be bound by the terms and conditions of this member agreement. Society guidelines and other official announcements are considered to be part of this member agreement as if they were written here.
- Membership privileges may only be used in good faith (complying with the letter and spirit of this agreement, without deception or hidden agendas) to the furtherance of the Society's purpose, in cooperation with its management and not substantially for other reasons or purposes.
- If you cannot, for whatever reason, continue your membership in good faith, you agree to resign by email to membership@eGullet.org.
- You agree to cooperate with requests made by Society staff with respect to your use of Society web-based technologies, such as eG Forums discussions, as well as participation in live events.
- You agree not to ignore, block or refuse communications from Society staff, nor may you opt out of email or other official membership communications.
- You agree to provide the Society with accurate, complete personal profile information, and to keep this profile current. Changes may be made by visiting Options > Edit Profile Info.
- You as the creator of your eG Forums and other eGullet.org content, including writings, photographs and other media, retain the rights to your content, with the exception that the Society and its present and future affiliates or assigns will always retain the right to publish, reproduce, and otherwise use your content.
- The Society reserves the absolute right to manage the Society and its media and technology according to its sole discretion. The Society may for any reason terminate, suspend or otherwise modify your membership in the Society, membership privileges and access to Society media and technology.
- You agree to indemnify and hold harmless the Society and its directors, officers, managers, staff members, and volunteers, from and against all losses, expenses, damages and costs, including reasonable attorneys' fees, resulting from any violation of this member agreement, or the failure to fulfill any obligations relating to your membership incurred by you or any other person using your membership privileges.
- We reserve the right to take over the exclusive defense of any claim for which we are entitled to indemnification under this Section. In such event, you shall provide us with such cooperation as is reasonably requested by the Society
- This Member Agreement shall be governed by the laws of the United States and the State of New York. Any controversy or claim arising out of or relating to this user agreement, or the breach thereof, shall be settled in accordance with our arbitration guidelines.
- We may modify this agreement at any time, in which case we will make an online announcement, which will be deemed sufficient notice.
The following guidelines are part of the Society member agreement:
- Decorum and topicality guidelines
- Avatars, signatures and member biographies
- External linking guidelines
- Copyright guidelines
- Guidelines for commercial posts and media solicitations
- Arbitration guidelines
- Membership and staff categories
- Events guidelines