California Book Recommendations?
Posted 14 October 2003 - 09:48 AM
Are there any standout books in these areas that you would recommend? Most specifically:
- Cookbooks by Southern California authors, especially chefs?
- Books on the history of food in CA?
- Books on LA restaurant lore/history?
- Particularly good, recent books on the CA wines? (I assume there are a lot here...)
- Restaurant guides you find reliable?
Thank you for a great Q & A!
Posted 14 October 2003 - 11:31 AM
The best book on California wine, I think, is Matt Kramer's "Making Sense of California Wine". It was published a few years ago and he's working on a revision now, but it still holds up (disclaimer: Matt's a really good friend).
Unfortunately, I don't think any of the local chef books have equalled what Alice and crew are doing up north, or what Judy Rogers did last year with Zuni. As far as a sense of cooking, my favorites are still the Evan Kleiman-Vianna La Place Cucina books.