1. Buerre de Baratte AB: Dull, with an artificial texture and slightly bitter.
2. Monoprix Gourmet:Salty but nice mouthfeel, slightly bitter finish.
3. Payson Breton: Mild salting, creamy with a lasting oily mouthfeel.
4. Grand Fermage: Chunky bits of salt with a mild slightly oily finish.
5. Marie Morin: Strange funky taste, artificial and oily.
6. Bernard Gaborit (Beurre Cru): Hints of the ocean in the salt with a lasting creaminess.
7. Le Montsurais: Mild, not oily, not salty, almost no distinction.
8. Le Gall (P'tibio): Dull, mild, no mouthfeel.
9. Grand Fermage (Charentes Poitou): Boring! Tastes like nothing.
10. Echire:Sweet, with a nice milk taste.
11. Cantin:Tasted like the wax from baby bell cheese, hints of plastic, not good.
12. Hendricks (unsalted): Like a frozen popsicle of milk.
13. Gin Meadow: Tasted like cake batter, or that stage when you whip butter with sugar.
14. Bordier: Lot's of up front salt, but a mild finish.
15. a la Motte Sale:Salty and more grassy then the others.
16. Au Bon Beurre: Super salty, hard to taste anything else.
Let's start off the results with the big losers of the bunch.
5. Marie Morin: With nearly a unanimous vote, this was the WORST butter of the bunch. We bought this one at Galleries Lafayette Gourmet.
11. Cantin: With the second most votes for disliked butter, most people noted the plasticky and waxy taste.
And now the big winners of the night.
10. Echire: With 7 votes, more than half the people here voted this as the best of the bunch.
4. Grand Fermage: and 2. Monoprix Gourmet: Tied for second with five votes each.
9. Grand Fermage (Charentes Poitou) Rounded out the last of the top votes with four votes.
Interesting notes: The Bordier butter came in with three votes. The most contested butter was the 16. Au Bon Beurre which had three votes for favorite and four votes for least favorite.
I will let others ring in with their notes as well as information on the butters they brought.
Edited by BradenP, 02 November 2007 - 09:41 AM.